Join Bishops Christine and Mark on their Holy Week pilgrimage
You are warmly invited to join Bishops Christine and Mark on their walking pilgrimage through parts of the Diocese during the first part of Holy Week.
Lay people and clergy are all welcome, and there is no need to commit to a whole day - just come along for whatever time or distance you can!
The planned routes are below, so do take a look and see where you might be able to meet the Bishops.
If you are planning to join a walk over lunchtime, please bring a packed lunch. Some of the walks will be on country or coastal paths, so suitable footwear and waterproofs may be advisable!
For those less mobile, you are welcome to join the Bishops for conversation and fellowship wherever they stop at one of the churches along the way.
Day 1 – Palm Sunday (09/04/17)
- 09.30: +Christine presides at Eucharist at St Peter Cowgate
- 11.30: +Christine leaves Cowgate by car for Newburn
- 09.30: +Mark presides at Eucharist at St Michael's, Newburn
- 11.45: Bishops leave St Michael's, Newburn
- 13.10: Arrive at St Oswin's, Wylam
- 13.15-14.15: Lunch in Wylam (please bring your own packed lunch)
- 14.15: Leave St Oswin's, Wylam
- 15:10: Arrive St Mary the Virgin Ovingham
- 15:30: Leave St Mary the Virgin Ovingham
- 15.55: Arrive St Mary Magdalene Prudhoe
- 14.15: Leave St Mary Magdalene Prudhoe
- 16:50: Arrive St George Mickley @4.50
Day 2 – Monday of Holy Week (10/04/17)
- 10.30: Meet at Hexham Abbey
- 11.00: Leave Hexham Abbey
- 11.40: arrive St John of Beverley, St John Lee
- 12.00 Leave St John of Beverley, St John Lee
- 13.10: Arrive at St Oswald Heavenfield
- Picnic lunch Heavenfield
- 14:00: Leave St Oswald Heavenfield
- 14:40: Arrive at St Giles Chollerton
- 15:00: Leave St Giles Chollerton
- 15.50: Arrive at St Peter Humshaugh
- Tea at Humshaugh
Day 3 – Tuesday of Holy Week (11/04/17)
- 9.30: Meet in Holy Trinity Embleton
- 10.00: Leave Holy Trinity Embleton
- 11.30: Arrive St Peter Craster
- 11.30 – 11.50: With Craster congregation
- 12.00 – 13.00: Lunch in Craster at The Jolly Fisherman
- 13.00: Leave St Peter Craster
- 14.00: Arrive St Michael and All Angels, Howick
- 14.30: Leave St Michael and All Angels, Howick
- 16.40: Arrive Almouth Friary
- 17.00: Evening Prayer with SSF Brothers at Almouth
Day 4 – Wednesday of Holy Week (12/04/17)
- 09.30: Meet at Holy Saviour Tynemouth
- 09.45: Leave Holy Saviour Tynemouth
- 10.00: Arrive St Augustin North Shields
- 10.15: Leave St Augustin North Shields
- 10.30: Arrive Christ Church North Shields
- 10.45: Leave Christ Church North Shields
- 11.10: Arrive St Peter Balkwell
- 11.25: Leave St Peter Balkwell. Walk to Meadow Well Metro station.
- 11.47: Take the Metro to Wallsend, arriving 11.55.
- 11.55: Walk to St Luke Wallsend.
- 12.00 – 13.15: Lunch at Wallsend
- 13.15: Leave St Luke Wallsend
- 13.40: Arive St Oswald Walkergate
- 13.55: Leave St Oswald Walkergate
- 14.30: Arrive St Silas Byker
- 14.45: Leave St Silas Byker
- 15.00: Arrive St Ann Battlefield
- 15.15: Leave St Ann Battlefield
- 15.35: Arrive St Nicholas Cathedral
- 16.00: Eucharist in St Nicholas Cathedral
View the news archive