Bishop of Newcastle rededicates predecessor’s restored grave

12/03/2012

Bishop Martin (right) with Benwell clergy at Bishop Lloyd's grave (photo: Michael Young)The 11th Bishop of Newcastle, the Right Reverend Martin Wharton, re-dedicated the restored grave of one of his predecessors on Sunday 11th March 2012 at St James' Church, Benwell.

The grave (pictured, left, courtesy Michael Young) of the Right Reverend Arthur Lloyd, 3rd Bishop of Newcastle, had become overgrown and dilapidated in the century since his death in office at the age of 63 in 1907, but was rediscovered and has been refurbished as part of a project led by St James' Heritage and Environment Group to restore the churchyard as an historic and community amenity. 

Re-dedication service in progress (photo: Judith Green)In accordance with Bishop Lloyd's wish to be buried as a commoner, his grave is a monument type with a cross, with incised lead-filled lettering on both the granite head stones and the granite cross. Since the churchyard was closed for new burials in the 1960s, the cross had been detached from its head stones and lay some distance from the grave, lead had been lost from the letters and the granite was chipped.

 

Restored

The monument has now been completely restored by pinning the cross to the head stones, repairing the chipped granite and running lead into the lettering, all as the original. The restoration was carried out by Glendon Services, Architectural Conservators under the direction of Cyril Winskell, Architect accredited in building conservation.

The Rt Revd Arthur Lloyd 1844-1907, 3rd Bishop of Newcastle 1903-1907Arthur Thomas Lloyd was born in Berkshire in 1844 and after ordination he served as Vicar of Aylesbury and later of Newcastle, based at St Nicholas' Church which was to become the City's Cathedral on the formation of the Diocese of Newcastle in 1882 (there is an elaborate memorial to him there, featuring a carved alabaster effigy). Lloyd became a Suffragan (or assistant) Bishop in Norwich before returning to Newcastle as its third Bishop in 1903. As Bishop of Newcastle he lived at Benwell Towers in the parish of St James. Following his unexpected death in London on the 29th May 1907, his funeral on the 3rd June was reported at the time to have attracted large crowds of mourners, reflecting his reputation as a good, modest and sincere man whose love for Newcastle was returned by its people.

 

 

 


 

View the news archive