A last Peal for Ken
When St James & St Basil’s church in Fenham first opened its doors in 1931, young Ken Arthur joined the choir and his parents were part of the original congregation.
When Ken’s voice broke at aged 15, he decided to learn bell-ringing ‘for a bit of a lark’. He founded the band of ringers at the Church, and remained a stalwart until he died aged 95 in February 2012.
This peal board was dedicated recently by the Vicar, Canon Nicholas Darby, and commemorates Ken’s 80 years of service to church and tower, where it will hang with all the other peal boards in the ringing chamber since 1934 on which Ken’s name appears.
View the news archive