'Reaching and Keeping Tweenagers' (10- 14 year olds)
This book focuses on young people aged 10-14 ( school year 6-10). It is avalible from the Youth Team- please contact Church House-0191 2704152 . The analysis concludes with the following observations:
- This age group sticks together . They wish to work together, relate to each other. The bunching together,going as a group is to be encouraged.Tweenagers herd together and need to be reached that way.
- Girls lead boys. They mature faster. The research explored their positive desire for friendship and wish to care and help in practical ways. A question for us -how can we find ways of enabling them to be actively involved in projects of various kinds associated with the church?
- Reach Tweenagers while they are young. An early experience of Church life ( e.g in Sunday School) is critical. Do they have good relationships with particular people?
- The importance of grandparents. Grandparents often come into the stories of this age group. Could your church offer 'foster granparents'?
- Fun is a core value. This translates into much more interaction and participation. This could mean meeting mid-week rather than on a Sunday when 'fun' could be introduced so much more easily.
Andrew Shipton 18th June 2007