Diocesan Synod Archive
2017, May 20th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
Links to the supporting papers, copies of PowerPoint slides and links to the sound recordings are available in the table below. Photographs from this meeting of the Synod are available using this link and the suite of sound recordings together, rather than individually, are available using this link.
2017, March 11th: An Open Synod Forum took place at the Dr Thomlinson Church of England Middle School, Rothbury.
The theme for the meeting was the launch of a new strategic vision growing church bringing hope. A short formal meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the interval. Documents supporting the Synod can be downloaded from the links below, including sound recordings and a link to photographs.
|Vision, by the Bishop of Newcastle: recording of the Bishop's address|
|Values, by the Ven Geoff Miller: recording of the Archdeacon's address|
|DS17 01||Agenda for the formal meeting to be held during the interval|
|DS17 02||Amending Standing Order 72|
|Listen||Bishop Christine's address to Synod (opens in SoundCloud)|
2016, November 26th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
The Agenda and Papers used at this meeting are set out below.
Listen to the sound recordings from the Synod (via Soundcloud)
|Paper Number||Description||Sound Files|
|DS16 07||Agenda for 26 November 2016||Open & Worship|
|DS16 08||Minute of a meeting held on 14 May 2016||Notices|
|Presidential Address (Bishop of Newcastle)||Address|
|DS16 09||Proposed Budget 2017||Budget|
|Report from General Synod: July 2016||Synod Report|
|DS16 10||Growth & Fruitfulness (short version)||Presentation|
|DS16 11||Instrument of Delegation||Governance|
|DS16 12||Deanery Synod Elections 2017||Governance|
|Closing Worship||Worship & Close|
2016, October 11th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at St John's Church, Percy Main, North Shields.
The meeting had a single item agenda with the budget document forming the basis for discussion.
The budget document can be downloaded using this link DS16 07
Listen to the sound recordings from the Synod(via Soundcloud)
2016, September 24th: An Open Synod Forum took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
The Synod met for an Open Synod Forum at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington on Saturday 24th September.
The theme for the Forum was Walking with Aidan, the next part of our journey with the Companions of St Aidan. Documents supporting the Synod can be downloaded from the links below, including sound recordings and a link to photographs.
2016, May 14th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the Dr Thomlinson Church of England Middle School, Rothbury.
Recordings from the Synod are available at https://soundcloud.com/diocese-of-newcastle
The Agenda and papers were as follows:
|DS16 02||Minutes of a meeting held on 28 November 2015|
|DS16 03||Annual Reports 2015|
|DS16 04||Financial Statements for 2015|
|DS16 04A||Summary Financial Note by the Diocesan Accountant|
|DS16 05||Responding to Renewal & Reform: Lay Leadership|
|DS16 06||Summary of the Open Synod Forum held on 12 March|
2016, March 12th: An Open Synod Forum took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
Recordings from the Synod are available at https://soundcloud.com/diocese-of-newcastle
Diocesan Synod met on Saturday 12th March 2016 at the Northumberland Church of England Academy, Josephine Butler Campus, Ashington NE63 9RX.
This was an Open Meeting and ovr 130 people attended. The Synod began with a Presidential Address from the Bishop of Newcastle followed by a conversation with the Bishop. After a short break the Disability Task Group led a series of workshops which allowed people to share some of the joys, challenges, opportunities and frustrations of living with disabilities as part of God's church and the world.
The seven main workshops were:
- Hearing Loss: Hearing loss affects nearly all of us - either personally, or in someone we know well. How can the church community do more to include those who have limited hearing, and make their experience of worship and activities joyful instead of frustrating?
- Unseen Disabilities: This will be an interactive group exploring a wide range of conditions and impairments with one thing in common - their invisibility to others. The attitudes of others, whether family, friend or stranger (e.g. in church) can determine crucially how far they feel welcome and included in worship and fellowship.
- Mobility Impairments: Not just a ramp... A workshop about all sorts of barriers that limit access to worship and fellowship and the attitudes that can disable us all.
- Sight Loss: Why might visually impaired people not want to come to your church? The worshop will examine a range of reasons and look at how, with greater awareness, the church community can positively address them.
- Learning Difficulties: People with Learning Disabilities have much to offer the church. We will consider how to maximise individual characteristics, minimize barriers and offer appropriate assistance. Greater awareness is needed by us all.
- Mental Health Issues: How can churches truly include those suffering from mental illness? What support can we give? And what support is available for us as we support others?
- Dementia: Nothing to be afraid of! I have simply forgotten your name. Ways in which we can learn to sare the joys of worship, activities and everyday life with those whom we love.
An eighth workshop was a tour of The Centre (use this link to find out further information) located within the Josephine Butler Campus. It shares the building with the Josephine Butler Primary and Secondary campuses. The Centre caters for the needs of children and young people aged 4-19 years who have severe or profound and multiple learning difficulties and we also have facilities, based on a TEACCH approach, for children with autism.
2015, November 28th: A meeting of the Diocesan took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
The Agenda and papers used at the meeting are set out below.
|post meeting||Note to members following the meeting|
|post meeting||Budget 2016 summary document|
|DS(15)21||Note of the Finance Synod held on 6 October|
|Recording||Recording of the meeting held on 6 October|
|DS(15)22||Responding to Reform & Renewal|
|DS(15)24||Proposed Suffragan See of Berwick|
|Background||Inspired North East|
|Background||Reform and Renewal|
2015, October 6th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at St John's Church, Percy Main, North Shields.
Agenda and papers used at the meeting held on 6th October
A sound recording of the meeting is available at SoundCloud using this link https://soundcloud.com/diocese-of-newcastle/sets/diocesan-synod-finance-meeting-held-on-6th-october
|Recording||Recording of the meeting held on 6th October|
|DS(15)15||Agenda for 6 October|
|DS(15)16||Minutes of 19 September (DRAFT)|
|DS(15)17||Draft Budget Paper for Consultation|
2015, September 19th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the Cathedral Church of St Nicholas, Newcastle.
The Diocesan Synod held its first meeting of the new triennium on Saturday 19 September when more than 90 people gathered for a Eucharist at the Cathedral which was followed by a short formal meeting of the Synod. Business carried out included:
• Election of the Vice-Presidents: The Revd Canon John Sinclair was elected to serve as Chair of the House of Clergy and Canon Carol Wolstenholme was elected to serve as Chair of the House of Laity;
• Overview of the business carried out at the last session of the General Synod held in York in July: A presentation was given by the Revd Canon Dr Dagmar Winter supplemented by the Revd Janet Appleby, Professor John Bull and Canon Carol Wolstenholme.
• Overview of the Election Process: Members of the Diocesan Synod need to elect people to serve on the following Boards and Committees:
i) Bishop’s Council & Standing Committee; ii) Diocesan Education Board; iii) Houses and Glebe Committee; iv) Diocesan Mission & Pastoral Committee; and v) Vacancy in See Committee
The nomination period is now open and runs to noon on Monday 5 October. Nomination forms are available here.
Agenda and papers used at the meeting on 19 September
|DS(15 06)||Agenda for 19 September|
|DS(15 07)||Minutes of meeting held 16th May|
|DS(15 08)||Elections to Boards & Committees|
|DS(15 09)||Overview of Structures|
|DS(15 10)||Nomination form: Bishop's Council & Standing Committee|
|DS(15 11)||Nomination form: Diocesan Education Board|
|DS(15 12)||Nomination form: Houses & Glebe Committee|
|DS(15 13)||Nomination form: Mission & Pastoral Committee|
|DS(15 14)||Nomination form: Vacancy in See Committee|
2015, May 16th: A meeting of the Diocesan Synod took place at the Dr Thomlinson Church of England Middle School, Rothbury.
- Sound extracts are available from https://soundcloud.com/diocese-of-newcastle
- This meeting was open to members and non-members.
- This was a special meeting of the Synod and we welcomed two representatives from the Archbishops' Council, Canon John Spence and the Revd Dr Malcolm Brown.
- The meeting began with worship followed by a presentation about the Reform and Renewal proposals. The presentation was followed by group work and a plenary session. This was a valuable opportunity to engage with the Reform & Renewal consultation.
- The Synod broke for refreshments and reconvened for a formal meeting.
- Agenda and Papers
- More information about the programme of Reform and Renewal is available using this link
Open Synod Forum held on Saturday 14th March 2015
This was a morning of Learning and Reflection for Lent to be led by the Revd Dr Calvin Samuel, Academic Dean and Director of Wesley Study Centre, St John’s College, Durham.
2014, November 29th: A meeting of the Diocesan took place at the Josephine Butler Campus, Northumberland Church of England Academy, Ashington.
DS14 06 Agenda
DS14 08 Budget 2015
DS14 12 Elections to Diocesan Synod 2015
Introduction to the Diocesan Safeguarding Adviser
2014, October 25th: A Lay Conference was held at the Centre for Life, Newcastle.
A Lay Conference was held on 25th October 2014 to affirm lay voices and make them heard across our diocese
A conference to celebrate, inspire and enthuse lay people was held on Saturday 25th October at the Centre for Life, Newcastle.
FOLLOW UP NOTE FROM THE CONFERENCE (DEC 2014)
PROGRAMME (download in PDF format)
POWERPOINT SLIDES (download in PDF format)
Lay Voices 2014
Seven church members from across the diocese attended the General Synod at York from 11th to 13th July. Look out for news and articles following this visit, particularly about what they enjoyed, what they discovered and the amount of networking they achieved over a busy three days.